The São Carlos Opera House Chorus was formed in 1943 under the direction of Mario Pellegrini performing on a permanent basis in the great operatic repertoire as well as in sacred music. Between 1962 and 1975 the TNSC Chorus participated in the Companhia de Ópera Portuguesa Season ( Portuguese Opera Company, then based at Teatro da Trindade) and toured to Madeira, Azores, Angola and, 1965, to Oviedo by invitation of Teatro Campoamor. It was awarded the Classical Music Award by Casa da Imprensa (The Press House). The choir took part in world premieres of operas by Portuguese composers such as Fernando Lopes Graça's D. Duardos e Flérida (1970) and António Victorino d’Almeida's Canto da Ocidental Praia (19721). The first full-time choral nucleus was formed in 1980, whilst the Chorus' professional status was achieved in 1983 under the direction of Antonio Brainovitch.
Learn more about the history and the choristers involved with the São Carlos Opera House Chorus: